Tuesday, 28 September 2010

"After dissapointment comes success"

Today I pressure tested my cell and it leaked at the very bottom "O" ring seal, Which as you can imagine, I wasn`t very happy about. I initially I blew it up by mouth which was enough to find that it has a leak somewhere! then using my compressor, I took it "dry" to five P.s.i. to check for the position of the leak, using a "leak finder spray" which did its job brilliantly and found one leak only on the "O" ring seal at the bottom of the cylinder :o((.

The square section "O" ring seals that I made for this very purpose are not ideal as I haven`t been able to stick the ends togeather as "cynoacrillate" (spelling?) (super glue) doesn`t do silicone (the fabric of my choice for thes seals) :o((.

I expected some form of minor problem with the seals anyway but its a pain to be proven right, as we all know! So what to do?

I gave it a couple of blasts with the compressor as I tightened down the "wing nuts" on the top plate , switching off the valve (to retain the air) as I went, it seemed to be getting better and longer times were passing between each "blast" before I needed to top it up again. Eventally, and I was now using a spanner to tighten the wing nuts up ( not my fingers as previously) the cylinder had sealed.

Taking a chance I pushed the dry pressure of the Cell to 1 Bar (14.7 Psi) now and left it there for ten hours. The photograph below shows the needle of the gauge (Black and behind the red one) still in line with the red indicator needle, and so it is holding!

The cell under one bar test (note the black needle is still in line with the red indicator needle so no further leaks



I eventually want to pump it up to twice my working pressure (at one Bar) to two Bar then I shall feel safe at the working pressure. This I will do in a wet situation i.e. I will fill the cylinder with water and just pressurise a very small amount of air at the top, as you all know water doesn`t compress well so as a result doesn`t expand rapidly either should the cylinder fail, which it won`t, as I checked the diameter for expansion (bulging) and it was less than mimimal at one Bar. Successsssssssssss!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Bill K said...

Does your wife know that you are using that PINK towel as a backdrop for you photo ??? LOL

Bill K

rob said...

Tee Hee Bill! it was chucked out for me to use as an oily rag so Fortunately thats no problem. Did you like my attempt at artistic arrangement and scenery design ? :o))

Bill K said...

Don't forget that when you fill with water it will take very little air to raise the pressure.

Yes I like your artistic arrangement and scenery design. :))

Bill K

PS Second time for this comment as my IP dropped the morning. :((

rob said...

Thanks for that Bill! I shall probably fill it right to the top with water, so there will be very little chance of an explosion. I will have to make a better joint for my compressor lead, at present I am just holding it onto the hose nipple! Probably something like an old tyre valve attached to a rubber hose, with "Jubilee Clips" etc etc :o) you know the sort of thing.