Monday, 8 November 2010

Is it time to call it a day?

I am getting even more obsessed with sorting out the water for fuel experiment I`m working on, so this weekend (as this time of year I am alone) I took "The Gizmo" down to the boat so that I could plug it all into the battery system ( principally the generator battery, which is the only twelve volt system on the boat, the rest being 24vdc) and continue my work. I was talking to a collegue who owns the same model of boat as mine, who stated that the cigar lighter on the main dash is actually twelve volt as he always charges his phone from it, (so do I too as a matter of fact?).

So bouyed with that information, I located a gigar lighter style plug and taking great care not to reverse the polarity, I connected the supply cables to it and plugged "The Gizmo" in! Phhhhhzhhht!!!!!!!! was the reaction of "TG" a phatulent sound, with smell to match. I dejectedly, opened up its control circuit housing and sure enough a 12vdc micro chip had exploded (and possibly along with all the other 12vdc microchips) soooo! too late, I checked the actual voltage of the cigar plug and "surenough" its 24 fcuking volts dc!!!!! Beaulleax ! lesson learned! Stink pot owners haven`t a clue about their boats!!! (I included myself in that comment too!) My phone must have a controlling circuit in it? to cope with the 24 volts Dc which "TG" of course doesn`t have!

I wouldn`t mind, but I had with me an adequate length of 12v Dc wandering lead, complete with crocodile clips to attach both it and "TG" to the generator battery, and the lazarette floor( where the generator lives) open ready to connect it all! until I listened to my collegue (I shan`t call him a friend again for a while yet
:o(( am I a Pillock or what?????????? Buggir!!!!!!!!!! !"£$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$£""£$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$£" PhucKKKKKKKKKKKK!! BP 180/260


So its off to the microchip shop ( via tinternet!) today, for some shopping and quite a few hours sorting it all out, when I recieve them (if I can that is?) :o(( Doh!

In the meantime I`m building an adjistable length coil so that I can balance the capacitance and the impedence of the now, not working system, to obtain resonance !!! Yawn!!!!! I know! you all can`t wait? :o)) but then thats another post, of no doubt, disasters too.:o((

2 comments:

Bill K said...

Rob,

I can't resist.

With all the work you have put into your project WHY wouldn't you take the time to use a meter and check the voltage ?

Easy for me to say. :))

Hang in there and good luck.
Bill Kelleher

rob said...

Hi Bill! Sorry for not replying sooner, but I didn`t realise that you had commented until today! In answer to your question I guess I`m just a Pillock, basically? O put my hands up as I should have, and of course will in future (too late now) but I was definitely negligent and took it for granted that as I can charge my mobile phone from both my car 12vdc and the boat cigar lighter that it was a confirmation of its being 12vdc. Also being told that it was from a fellow (same) boat owner, was enough to convince me that it was :o(( wrong!! Doh!