It started with the weather deciding to rain on my parade in the form of the fourth coat of my re-varnishing (will have 9 coats at completion, if I ever get there?)of my boat deck saloon table. So that started me off a little, this morning I have a crazed finish to what whould have been a 50% finished job so now I have to strip it back and start again! That will teach me to be too eager to do a job! So a thinking day is definitely in order.
Next I smoked the cables to my capacitor that drives the Plasma spark "experiment" set-up on my bench, It was going fine until I noticed a little smoke coming off the wires and bingo a replacement is necessary.
Thirdly my grandaughter who was sitting in a shopping trolley while I was at the checkpoint decided to pull a load of brochurs off the cash desk, which I stopped her doing, several times, after about three goes, I told her in a loud voice that I would sort her out and that she wouldn`t be able to do that again after what I was going to do ( I moved her a foot sideways, OK a little angrily, and she burst into tears and screamed I think probably in fear rather than anything else? boy was I sorry, and the faces on the women all around ? well you would have thought that I had beaten her up, bless her! I said to my wife that I wasn`t going to pacify her as she was having a Tantrum and I don`t put up with tantrums but now I feel quite guilty about it! Sure we are friends again and all is forgotten but that made me realise that my over sixfoot 16 stone frame with an angry face would be enought to frighten a two year old without the threat of a one foot sideways movement (so she was out of reach of the brochurs) :o(( alls well but a thinking day is definitely for me today.
I re-read Sterling Haydens book and settled on his comment/quotation. where he asks (also, possibly in a thinking day mood too?)
"What does a man need-really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of acomplishment. Thats all - in the material sense,and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry,, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.
The years thunder by, the dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Brefore we know it the tomb is sealed.
Where, then, lies the answer?
In choice...!
What shall it be: Bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life.....?"
Sterling Hayden
I left out the first paragraph as for me this says enough on its own. I do ask myself have I been guilty of this? and the answer is a resounding No! as I have achieved all that I could ever want to in my life, and some, I also ask, am I now settling down for old age? again the reply is "Like "Fcuk" I am"! I still have dreams of sorting my experiments, of getting my boat to where I want to go in the condition that I would like her to be in and living long enough to see world peace! (maybe that might be too much to ask?)
I have been trying to understand the fabric of Atoms recently and am having real trouble understanding what "Quarks" are (they make up the smaller parts of electrons etc which themselves make up Atoms. Recently discovered they are even smaller and harder to discern, so I ask how many much smaller things exist, that we don`t know about and can`t discern. Sure we are all made up of the same Atoms and we are constantly bombarded by others (in some cases even killed or disfigured in the case of Chernobyl) but we are each individual in our own right even though fabricated from the same ( believed empty) atoms, how can this be?
When we look at the heavens and its vastness, what do we really see? its simply so vast! I have to ask therefore, as the universe and space appears to go on "for ever" is it thus, like time and distance, man made? are we ants (even smaller) in an ant hill in mans interpretation of what is there? does the string theory and space time, actually hold creedence? or is it all purely mans interpretation of what should be there. Could some force be holding the universe and in fact all the existing "discerned universes" in the palm of their hand, as it were, and that we were even smaller than say ants in an ant hill. Could it be that what I see as red bears no similarity to what you actually see as red? that it Was all an illusion? could it be that we are just machines in a computer type game in the greater view of things? Are we just thinking and reasoning machines that, as we can reason, we reason that, what we believe is fact and that our beliefs are based upon what we are fed in the form of information (not unlike a computer?) with the difference that our
beliefs can be altered and changed or reinforced by our emotions, fear, love, pain, hope, etc? what really are these things? and how and why do they influence us so greatly? what indeed is the reason for their existance even unseen?
I`m asking too many questions that I can`t ever answer or even reason correctly, so I think I will, strip off my table top and go back to a working day, Iv`e had enough of this thinking lark I`ll leave it for greater minds than mine, perhaps my grandaughters :o))
Duly stripped off table top for tomorrows onslaught
As you can see from the photo of the tabletop I have now removed all but the first coat of the varnish from its surface so as to start all over again, tomorrow I`m on sanding scraping and second sealing :o(( Doh!!! So much for a rushed job using yacht varnish in damp. cold, weather! :o(( and its back to Epithanes! Who was it who said "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur" I think it was Red Adair? sound familiar :o))?????? Maybe I should stick to mending outboards ????? or maybe not ???? :o(((!
No comments:
Post a Comment