Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Having just spent a week off the coast of west Africa!


As all the Blogs that I follow and comment upon ( there are many) have grown immensely with many and varied entries and mine hasn`t, for while at least I thought that I should write a post on where I have been for the last week and a few observations!


I took a long over due family holiday in Tenerife, with my Wife Daughter, Grand Daughter and Son-in-law. we stayed in a great hotel in Adeje (pronounced:- adekki) and had a really great time, eating the superb fare of the area attending the many shows that the hotel provided and swimming in and lazing around the Hotel pools, dreaming of keeping my boat in the marina just outside the Hotel :o))


I haden`t been to Adeje before but had been close, in Los Gigantes. Adeje is a great place with endless walks along the shoreline/beaches with Sun Glass Salesmen (very polite, they are now I notice) every thirty or so yards, boy! can the run when the inspector visits on his mountain bike to try to catch them selling. It was always the crippled beggar and his wife from Morocco that got caught and warned, rarely did he catch a sun-glasses man, they always returned within a few minutes of his visit and got back on with their business. They also sold fake watches which started at eighty Euros for a rolex submariner, breitling or similar and they could always be reduced to twenty euros by the time they decided to walk away.


The above mentioned items are available in China for much less, but as one of them chanced to tell me in perfect english I might add, "we aren`t in China now and I need to eat :o((.


I didn`t buy and just bartered for the hell of it, as with a scam I discovered in one of six electronics sales points I visited owned by four partners, where I was shown a "latest" sony video camera for sixty Euros and ended closing on a sale for thirty two with a thirty eight euro memory stick thrown in too, when the penny finally dropped (forgive me, I am getting old of course) either the camera was stolen, which it wasnt, they didn`t have one to sell me and just wanted to drive me up to a better camera, or the camera wasn`t actually the latest technology from Sony. Well it turned out to be the latter two, as after a succession of salesmen trying to sell me a more expensive camera by telling me that as I have so many credit cards I must be rich and should have a better and more expensive camera! When I mentioned that this one would do, being the latest technology from Sony, (and that I would probably drop it into the sea anyway, at thirty two euros???? Ha ha ) I was told that I must have mis-heard the salesman (who when called over, to account, denied that he said such a thing) and so finally a partner appeared while I was waiting for a camera to be collected from their "Warehouse" my daughter insisted upon waiting with me (bad move) as she has seen the sort of thing that I can get up to in the past when I get Piss*d off with this sort of shop keeper and their scams, and thought that she might manage to keep me out of trouble this time, (I had by now already assesed the opposition, where the main light box was, and any obstructions that might impede a quick exit in case of emergency, along with the position of a display of fake samurai swords in a convenient rack, by the entrance to the shop) fortunately, after the fourth and really very agressive and desperate (blatently) rude attempt to get me to buy a more expensive camera by the partner, we remained unacosted sitting and waiting for about ten minutes, before asking how much longer he would be, collecting the camera, to be told "a couple of minutes!" nothing happened for another ten minutes so I damanded they return my cash. I was "quite firm about it" and after some discussion my money was returned, which I checked for authenticity (another scam ) and we left! this situation (Which I quite enjoy in a strange and perverse sort of way) left my daughter shaking with fear and I felt very bad about subjecting her to it ( she had chosen to stay with me even when I had asked her to leave me to it). fortunately it didn`t ruin her holiday and we all agreed that we would go back again (but maybe give the six camera shops a miss) :o((

No comments: