Most days in the summer and indeed a lot of the winter I chose to walk around the Marina and often the mile or so into the City itself. To do so I choose to walk along the communal paths, in the sun, through the Marina rather than the lower road, I use the word communal as the residents pay for the upkeep along with the Marina berth holders? and the public (visitors) use it for sight seeing around the marina.
Whilst using these paths (eight feet wide) it is normal to meet people coming the other way and in a lot of cases, but by no means the vast majority, one can usually expect to be able to walk say side by side ( the two of us) without having to make great ajustments to our direction to avoid a clash.
In the summer (most summers) there are a lot of people that chose to visit the Marina for a look around, and it is at this time when one experiences the worst behaviour, not only just in the Marina but the paths to and from the city, and indeed around the city too.
Given that Kids and buggies are a law unto themselves I have no problem stepping out of the way for a hard worked mother who is both trying to negotiate her buggy around the dog poo (yes there is often some of that) mind the edge of the path and supervise her kids all at one time or even a father, who`s inexperience driving a buggy, and with similar problems causes him to apologetically hit me fair and square in both shins with an errant buggy (last year).
What really Pis*es me off is the five or more a breast (blocking the whole path width) ignorant (there is no other word for them, and they do get upset when I barge through the middle of them calling them this) people who so filled with their own sel-finterest, fail to notice a couple of pensioners coming the other way. I often turned to my wife and quietly say here comes another lot of ignorant bastards! and more often than not, I am right, we might as well not be there! Pressed against the Marina wall, one behind the other so that they can get past without breaking ranks we find ourselves, and it is at moments like this that I think that I should wear a Tee shirt that states on its front, in big letters SURE I EXIST!! PLEASE PASS POLITELY and on the back SURE! I MEANT YOU ASSH*LES!!!
I cant believe that pople enjoying a stroll can get so involved with their activity that they will actively try to walk over a six foot one and five foot nine tall, elderly couple, or force them to walk into the road or off the path and on to the shingle beach, but they do! My wife gets very upset when I actively engage these (often grown up families or just groups of friends) by walking through the middle of them, just to make a point, often having to physically push them over to one side or other of the path to allow my wife to nervously walk on, as I engage in heated exchanges as a result, with such comments as "Yes I`m old! I can`t do anything about that"-"Sure my Parents were married!" "Yes I may be blind? better than God damn igorant! whats your excuse" I reply! :o))
So I ask is this sort of action prevalent only in the UK ? are the Brits the most ignorant of peoples on this planet? or is it just me over reacting? :o((
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Nice rant, Orb.
He he he.
Thanks Mmmmm! Hope we get to see you during your "retirement"?
Naaa. Not just UK, however the rude comments are rather a native thing I think.
nah, they're ignorant everywhere.
ME FIRST is always the prevailing attitude.
Hi Fuffy! its a shame ist it, people are so selfcentred sometimes!
Hi Tana! Thanks for that I thought that it was just me, and the UK, I dont feel so bad about it now. :o))
Take care!
Truly not just UK folks ... it's everywhere, trust me. Believe it or not, it's worse if you happen to have visible evidence of frailty - such as an electric cart in a supermarket, or a walker or a wheelchair! This I know from experience. Bob has to use an electric cart in supermarkets because he can no longer walk distances. I can't tell you the number of rude baffoons who have crashed into him and his cart - and then had the audacity to spew venom at HIM for being "in their way!" PJ and I have taken up the habit of walking directly behind him and his cart, and when this happens, we both let lose a volley of venom right back at the rudesters! Since they were so self-absorbed and "righteous", they never notice us until it's too late ... and I gotta tell you the looks on their faces while we are letting them have it (when they realize the defenseless old cripple isn't quite so defenseless after all) is precious!
It may be wrong of me to encourage this in PJ ... but under the circumstances, I make no apology for it and I've no intention of changing it.
Great to hear that EC A mates father went to the same blind school as George Shearing and so knew him well. he used to say to people (that he might accidentally Bump into) who requested "why dont you look where you are going" "I`m blind whats your excuse!" works for me!!
Sorry to hear that Bob need to use one of those things now but they are a great aid for mobility, and should we all live long enough we may be lucky enough to get to use one?
Post a Comment