I have left the weld on the outside ( rather than machining it off) where it was blown through the previous small hole making it into a larger hole ( this can often happen when welding aliminium, or any metal but ali is more of a problem to me) this will increase the thickness of the rim and make for a stronger job. also if the electrolysis continues (it won`t as I am fitting a device to prevent this) it won`t fail so quickly (more than twenty years which was how long it took last time)
Now all I have to do is fit it all back with new sealing rings, fill up the engine with antifreeze and water , bleed and run for a while. Can you believe that Volvo charge £10.75 plus VAT for one small "O" ring and I need two, they cost more than the whole repair cost :o :0 (( RobbersSSSSSSSSSSS! actual cost is seven pence each from a UK supplier, talk about MARKUP, or what.
2 comments:
OYI! Greig started to tackle repairs on the Hari Mai's engine, a Grey Marine gas, it had been overheating and going through water like crazy. The head gasket for it cost some $300!
Hi Tana thanks for your visit. I had a water problem on a marine gas engine a few years ago and found that the head was distorted ( probably from the initial overheat) so I had it "skimmed" which saved me fitting another head gasket and then finding out that the water problem just returned (costing me another gasket) Greig will know to do this anyway, but I was really lucky to stop my engineers from just fitting another gasket without checking making sure that the head was flat.
Post a Comment